Crisp Poorganic Waffles

I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for MONTHS, so you can thank my friend Megan for reminding me.  These are THE BEST. I adapted them from an Eggo style recipe. These are great to make on the weekend and then have on hand for the kids to grab from the freezer and toast all week. Addie loves them with peanut butter on them. :) Click on the title for a printable version of the recipe. :)

Crisp Poorganic Waffles

Makes: 20-24 4 inch square waffles

3 eggs Beat until fluffy (Use 2 if halving recipe)

3 ½ c. water or milk (I prefer milk)

¾ c. coconut oil

3 ½ c. white whole wheat flour (4.c if you use all purpose)

1 tsp. salt

2 T. sugar or honey

3 T. scant baking powder

1 t. vanilla

Mix wet ingredients. Stir dry ingredients. Blend together and let sit a few minutes.

Brush hot waffle iron with light coat of oil. (I don’t do this because my waffle iron is non-stick.) Ladle on waffles. Cook fully to eat immediately.

To make for freezing and toasting later, cook 3 minutes each. Place on wire rack to cool. Then place rack in freezer to chill. Then stack up to freeze in Ziploc bags.

Enjoy!!

8 Responses to Crisp Poorganic Waffles

1. Laura April 3, 2012 at 8:13 am #

Must order more coconut oil. Must purchase flour. Oh, also need waffle iron. Darn. These look amazing!

• Katrina April 3, 2012 at 8:21 am #

Ooo, I’ll order you a bucket with my next order from Vitacost.com, but just FYI, in a pinch TJ’s has a good price on a small jar.

2. Laurel April 3, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

can you substitute something else for the coconut oil? and what size and price do you get your white whole wheat flour for at Trader Joes?
    Laurel recently posted…Crisp Poorganic WafflesMy Profile

• Katrina April 3, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

The original recipe calls for a cup of oil. Since veg and canola oils are poorganic no-nos, I would do butter or coconut oil. Since I’ve found coconut oil is oilier, I use less of it. The 5 lb bag of white whole wheat is $2.99 at TJ’s. They also have a 16 oz. jar of coconut oil for $5.99. :)

3. Meredith April 4, 2012 at 10:42 am #

These look awesome.
    IF I were to use butter (instead of the no-no oils), should I melt it to match consistency, or add more liquid somewhere else? OR — do what I normally do, which is wing it and learn from my mistakes?
    Meredith recently posted…Two Years Ago Today –My Profile

• Katrina April 4, 2012 at 11:09 am #

Well . . . I have never made it with all butter, but butter is what I would try before the no-no oils. I actually have a raised yeast waffle recipe that uses all butter and it is delish, so I bet this would be too. Maybe just a titch crispier? This recipe will not be lacking in liquid with 3 1/2 cups milk, so I wouldn’t worry about that. :) Wing it and let me know how it turns out!

• Meredith April 4, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Sounds good! Maybe this weekend! I have to make more english muffins tonight! :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. When the Gallop Pollster Handed Me a Mirror | The Poorganic Life - November 7, 2012

[…] so on Sunday, we slept in–till 6:30. (Pretty good, considering Daylight Savings.)  I made poorganic waffles for the kids. They watched cartoons. I worked on my real food couponing post. My husband watched […]