I’m excited to be preparing several classes for the Shanan Tutorials 2021-22 Schedule shown below. Shanan is a program for homeschooled families to partner with experienced tutors for instruction in class settings once or twice per week. At home, parents help students and collaborate with tutors to complete instruction of course materials. All Shanan classes meet at Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church on Mondays AND/OR Wednesdays for 70 minute classes. Shanan meets for 32 weeks: 16 Fall and 16 Spring. Since I’ve had a few questions about my plans for next year, here’s the schedule of proposed classes. For those experiencing sticker shock about the prices, check out THIS post about why Shanan is worth it. The bottom line is that our classes are LONGER and meet more frequently, so you just get a lot more for your money.
Apply BEFORE June 25th to make sure that the course you are interested will be offered. Most classes have a 5 student MINIMUM.
- As you can see, there are two English teachers at Shanan, me and Mr. Jack Gale. I have almost 10 years of classroom experience in public, private, and homeschool environments. Mr. Gale has 50+ years of classroom experience. He was my high school English teacher in the mid 90s! He’s amazing.
- Mr. Gale will teach the twice a week Honors Grammar & Composition (9th-12th) and American Literature (9th-12th). He is also preparing a new once a week Science Fiction (9th-12th) option, which may include some speculative (non-realistic) fiction.
- In order to be placed in any writing course, students must demonstrate 90% proficiency on a 4-6th grade level grammar test.
- Literary Genres. M&W–9th-12th grade. Our spine text is IEW Windows to the World by Lesha Meyers. This survey course covers a broad scope of American, British, and world literature, including poetry, novels, short stories, and plays in relatively equal portions. This year our long works have included To Kill a Mockingbird, A Christmas Carol, Cry the Beloved Country, and A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Honors students also read Just Mercy, Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men, and Othello. (Next year’s selections may be slightly different based on what student’s have already read.). We have covered many short stories and poems. The course does involve writing literary analysis essays, but its primarily emphasis is literary analysis and discussion.
- Essay Writing & Grammar. The Intro to Grammar and Composition class that I offered this year has been redesigned as a TWICE a week course in two parts. Most middle grade developing writers will attend both days. With approval from me, Grammar (on Wednesdays) may be exempted.
- Essay Writing. ONCE per week 7th-9th grade. This class is designed to be paired with the Grammar class, which will held be the same time on the opposite day. With that said, students who pass a 7th-8th grade Grammar proficiency post-test may take Essay Writing ONLY. Some of our essays will be paired with various readings and novels.
- Grammar. ONCE per week 7th-9th grade. This class is designed to be paired with the Essay Writing class; however, it MAY be taken alone. Our curriculum will include the Get Smart Grammar program from Grammar Revolution.com and methodology from The Writing Revolution. There IS a required placement pre-test to ensure students have proficiency with 4th-6th grade grammar.
- Writing for Muggles. ONCE per week. 7th-9th grade. Our text is Grammar for Middle School by Killgallon, but our major writing assignments will be creatively derived from reading the Harry Potter series. We will write letters from Hogwarts, Daily Prophet articles, fan fiction creating a sibling for Harry, and other pieces designed to energize writing from those who love the Harry Potter series. Students need to have already read or be concurrently reading ALL 7 books in the series. There IS a required placement pre-test to ensure students have proficiency with 4th-6th grade grammar.
- Creative Writing ELECTIVE. FALL ONLY. ONCE per week. 7th-12th grade. Our current text is TBD. We spend 3/4 of the year writing short stories and the other 1/4 writing skits and poems. This class is a great choice for students who love writing for pleasure and want to be challenged to improve AND try new forms of writing. This class is NOT sufficient as a full high school English credit as we do not discuss formal academic writing OR literature.
- Drama ELECTIVE. SPRING ONLY. TWICE per week for 12 weeks. Jan-March. 7th-12th grade. After we determine enrollment numbers, we will select a play to perform in the final week of March. This is likely to be an abridged Shakespeare play similar to what we performed in 2021 with A Midsummer Night’s Dream. We will join with my Literary Genres students for this production. All participants MUST attend a minimum of 22 of 24 rehearsals AND be available during production week. The cost of this class is TBD and registration for this class will not open until Fall.
- ALL my classes will require students to use and submit assignments via Google Classroom. I am including my course intro video from last year (2020-2021), in which I introduce myself and discuss some of the curriculum that I’ve used this year. It isn’t up to date, but it does have some helpful info and give a chance to see me.
**Since it is a big issue for many people, I will go ahead and explain Shanan’s masking policy. Shanan follows ALL mask-wearing, social distancing, and cleaning protocols followed by our church host, Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church. UPDATE MAY 30: The church is currently following a mask optional policy. We hope this will continue for fall!
Thankfully, with the exception of a few weeks, we have been able to meet live. When classes were virtual, they proceeded at their normal schedule on a digital platform; I use Zoom. Any changes to COVID and masking rules will be those initiated and allowed by the church. All policies are in deference to our stewardship there, which is to say that our policies DO NOT stem from tutor, parent, or student opinions. We simply follow the policies of the church. All tutors and students have to sign agreement forms acknowledging adherence with these policies.