(Just to set the scene, my son is on the porch watching PBS kids, Addie is combing my hair remarking on its smoothness, and the baby, who was rausiming olgeta samting—an indispensable Tok Pisin phrase for “tearing stuff up”–is now ankle biting and reaching for the mouse.) So does all this couponing and sale shopping […]
In an effort to become all things to all people, I am conducting the following brief survey. 1. Do you read blogs? 2. If yes, what kind of blogs do you read and why? If no, try to speculate why not? 3. If you read blogs, what kind of topics would you be likely to […]
We have the opportunity to join the Y for a reduced rate this summer since Jeremy is a teacher. There are pros and cons to this, so I thought I would see what you all thought to help us make our decision. Here are the factors that we’re considering so far; let us know if […]
A few people have told me that they found the cash system “freeing.” I’m waiting for that feeling. Friday I did our shopping and then wrapped it up at the Farmer’s Market yesterday morning. So here’s the general breakdown of where this week’s $140 went. It certainly did go pretty quickly. 140 -20 (gas for […]
A few of you have mentioned, that my weekly amounts seem overly generous. That remains to be seen; however, I did intentionally put a cushion in each week’s “allowance.” Our cash budget is going to have to cover the following inevitable items: car repair (Jeremy buying parts), doctor co-pay, clothing/ shoes, garden maintenance, sanity date, […]
What is the 13 week challenge and why am I calling this site the “Low Ryder” (other than the awesomeness of it)? Well, I have long been known for my cheapness, but this summer will present a new challenge. The question is “how low can we go?” Our summer will last 13 weeks, almost to […]
So the first hiccup was that Jeremy did not have the cash when he took Dylan to McDonald’s for the reward ice cream for pooping in the potty, so he used the card. It was three dollars. This does not seem like a big deal. Are we always supposed to have some of the cash? […]
I thought I would lay the background for our cheapness just for any who might be looking for some ideas. Here are some things about our lifestyle that help us with our cheapness and give me hope for accomplishing the goals for the summer. If you are hoping to become cheaper, try to pick at […]
To those of you “farmers” who have stumbled onto this site in search of something other than my rambling tips on how to have a cheap family summer, try leaving off the “the”. No weed seed here, sorry! But since you are here, I would be remiss not to point out that weed is probably […]
If you, like me, are starting a blog, do not look at other blogs. Now that I am on “display,” other blogs are like the popular girls. Maybe this all stems from and unresolved fear of looking stupid. Once, walking into middle school, I discovered my fly was down, and while covertly zipping it, I […]
Hi! I'm Katrina. I'm married to an elementary school music teacher and am mom to three crazy kids. Formerly a high school teacher and missionary, I now stay home and give myself pedicures and eat bon-bons, while never avoiding sarcasm. I blog about faith, finances, food, and family. I founded You Go Girl! groups to encourage, equip, and empower women want to support or participate in missions. I love Jesus, missions, hip-hop dance, gardening, country music, Henry James novels, talking too much, wearing makeup, and eating crusty bread. I am available for freelance editing and speaking engagements.
- Inside Out Study–All 8 Weeks FREE with Vlogs and Handouts March 18, 2017
- Inside Out Session 2: Highs and Lows Vlog and Homework January 27, 2017
- Inside Out Session 1 and Homework January 20, 2017
- The Emotional Jesus & The Inside Out Study January 10, 2017
- Tone Up Finale: Vlogs for Session 7 and 8 March 14, 2016
- Practice on the People Who Don’t Matter May 16, 2013
- The Poorganic Voice in My Head September 20, 2012
- Still on Track for the 500 dollar month? September 14, 2012
- This is probably wrong, but February 22, 2012
- Poorganic Food at Food Lion? June 12, 2012
- Katrina Ryder: Thanks for reading and commenting. I hope this stu...
- Carlene Seghers: Thank You!!! I really enjoyed the week four study!...
- Rachel M.: What a lovely tribute to your friend, I too have o...
- Glenna McKelvie: years ago when my son was small, we were going to ...
- Katrina Ryder: Thanks! I'm trying to be all sleek and serene, fo...